World Elder Abuse Awareness Day
Yesterday was World Elder Abuse Awareness Day (WEAAD). The Consumer Voice observed the day as a call-to-action to raise awareness about abuse, neglect, and exploitation of elders. Abuse and neglect is widespread but preventable.
Every year 1 in 10 older Americans are victims of elder abuse, neglect, or exploitation.
Research shows that as few as 1 in 14 cases of elder abuse come to the attention of authorities.
However, we can prevent elder abuse from happening. We can strengthen the social support structure, we can reduce social isolation, protect communities and families against elder abuse, and build a nation where no individual is subject to abuse.
WEAAD Fact Sheet: Frequently Asked Questions about Elder Abuse
Consumer Voice has several resources available for preventing, identifying, and reporting abuse, neglect and exploitation:
- Abuse, Neglect, Exploitation & Misappropriation of Property – Presentation and Fact Sheet with information on resident rights and steps to take if these rights are jeopardized
- Put a Stop to Poor Care – Brochure identifying warning signs and red flags
- How to Prevent, Detect and Report Financial Exploitation in Nursing Homes and Assisted Living Facilities – Fact Sheets and Webinar
- Sexual Abuse in Nursing Homes: What You Need to Know – Fact Sheet
- Reuniting Residents and Families: What to Look for and Questions to Ask as You Resume Visits in a Long-Term Care Facility – Fact Sheet
- Nursing Home Neglect: Preventing It and Getting Help – Fact Sheet
Find even more resources on Consumer Voice’s Elder Abuse Issue Page.